Thanks to Statec and The Chronicle for an interesting article which I have summarised below regarding car ownership in Luxembourg.
- Second highest car ownership in the world after Monaco, with 666 cars per thousand inhabitants. Monaco has 771. Interestingly Iceland and New Zealand are next.
- Between 1974 and 1990 the number of cars in Luxembourg doubled and by 2012 the number of registered vehicles was 430,000 (pop. 509,000).
- Companies own 20% of registered vehicles
- The top three brands in order are: VW, BMW and Renault.
- 64.7% of vehicles use diesel
- The total journeys come to 3bn Kilometres per year, or 75,000 times round the world
I also heard speculation that Luxembourg has among the highest Ferrari ownership rates around, I am not sure if this is true but it would seem a few of the bankers round here can still manage to own these rather modest beasts. I see them almost daily here which is in stark contrast to the UK.